HTTPS is the new necessity for websites.

In class earlier this semester SEO specialist Becky Livingston recommended that since we’re all working on websites for our finals, if we want them to be successful they should be secure.

Since the birth of webpages many of these pages have been HTTP (hypertext protocol, which is just words for technical communication and transport methods of data). Soon these pre-existing web pages as well as brand new webpages that will emerge will have to be HTTPS (HTTP Secure). The primary reasoning for making webpages HTTPS is for its authentication of the visited website and protection of the privacy and integrity of the exchanged data. HTTPS provides authentication of the website and associated web server with which one is communicating, which protects against man-in-the-middle attacks. Additionally, it provides bidirectional encryption of communications between a client and server, which protects against eavesdropping and tampering with or forging the contents of the communication.

The article I found on search engine journal said that a within 9 months (short time period in internet time) the percentage of HTTPS results on Google’s first page went from 30% to 70% (the other remaining 30% is split divided between advertising links and a few that are still just HTTP. There are still some major pages that haven’t made the switch, but pretty soon Google is going to be labeling HTTP sites “non-secure”. If an e-commerce website or site that requires personal information or credit card information but says non-secure, it’s basically a death sentence for that site, company, etc. So overall the change doesn’t need to be immediate, Google is giving users 6 months to become secure, but after that 6 month period sites will be labeled insecure. According to another link, it’s not known what Firefox or other browsers will do with the HTTP/HTTPS topic but Chrome for sure needs the Secure. Additionally Google warned that it will turn the browsing mode into “incognito” for those site that don’t switch to HTTPS.

Link to original article: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/half-googles-first-page-results-https-according-moz/195409/

Link to the additional info: http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-tightens-noose-on-http-chrome-to-stick-not-secure-on-pages-with-search-fields/

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s